[TR] Nitrogen in Tires

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 06:59:12 MDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/2008 5:49:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mark.jones at exxonmobil.com writes:

Personally I can't see the point to it.  Air is already approx 78%  nitrogen
(and 21% oxygen) and the nitrogen molecule is just a bit bigger  than an
oxygen molecule.  So, to me, putting pure nitrogen into a tire  , as opposed
to plain old air, will have no affect on how fast a tire  looses air
pressure.

Mark

I believe there is a huge business in trying to find gimmicks for garages,
tire shops etc. to increase revenue.
My former mechanic had magazines for mechanics which advertised all sorts  of
things to improve revenue. He no longer could just change my tranny fluid and
 filter for $15; it now had to be connected to a multi-thousand dollar
machine to  be flushed for $120. He had a machine for everything, and all those
things which  should have reduced his labor always made my cost more expensive. He
could no  longer diagnose anything without putting it on the computer ($75),
or align a  car without going on another computer ($135). I imagine he will be
selling  Nitorgen soonif he hasn't already.

Back in the 60's when I was involved with Naval Aviation a bit, I recall  all
the aircraft tires were nitrogen filled. The reason as I recall had to do
with the extreme heat and the fact that  fuel vapor could be in the  compressed
air, thus causing tire fires etc.

Mike Moore 59 TR3A

deal here.