[TR] a bulb not doing anything, not TR

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Oct 29 13:17:13 MST 2008

MMoore and wbeech both offered suggestions, e.g.:
> Unless you have a reason to suspect that the problem is
> behind the dash, I would start from the...

Thank you both.

Note I said I already I checked the socket at the bulb and the connector from the wiring harness to the bulb holder.  From there the wiring merges with other wires to become a mighty river of wiring harness, then disappears underneath somewhere.

Tucked away on the left over near the battery and fusebox is a seemingly sealed box, maybe 12"x10"x2", with heat-removing fins.  Connected to one side are two large multi-pin connectors, each maybe 5"x2", each with maybe 50 to 100 pins and lots of wires.  (I didn't count'em.)  I was slightly afraid that removing them might disable a theft-prevention radio or set off the alarm or something.  Nevertheless I swallowed bravely and detached and re-seated both connectors.  That made no difference.  The bulb was still out.  As was the jury.

So the conjection was the somewhere in the wiring harness, either under the hood and exposed to the weather or inside the car and exposed to rain dripping around a leaking windshield, there exists a corroded connector.  Or a broken wire.  obvioulsy I can run a separate wire, but I'd rather find the real problem.   The operative question is where it might be!

Tanks again,
Jim Muller