[TR] ramp lenth?

Skip Gurnee skip47 at clearwire.net
Tue Oct 21 19:01:46 MDT 2008

Hi Paul-
I've been using 1x12's, but have used 1x8's in the past; too narrow for my
nerves and vision. This size board is PLENTY strong, and the main issues
are: 1) making it long enough so you don't get high-centered at the edge of
the platform, and 2) wide enough so you don't drive off the side.  Support
at every 10 inches is overkill.  My trailer is about a foot off the ground
at the rear, and I use eight foot ramps supported in the middle (actually
they're two 4-foot pieces so I can fit them into the tow car).  Triumphs
have not bottomed on the trailer as I loaded them, so that's a good length
for the one foot height.  Since you're doubling the height, you'll need
something longer.  If you're into math, you simply have to work out how long
the ramp must be to allow the TR to clear.  Or create a scale drawing.  Or
just buy 16-ft boards.
 Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4, 66 TR4A