[TR] ramp lenth?

Rich White rlwhitetr3b at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:15:30 MDT 2008

Are you sure the boards were only one inch (3/4" really) thick?
Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA '63 TR3B TCF587L That ain't a scrap pile, that
is my car! See it moves!> From: skip47 at clearwire.net> To:
dorpaul at bellsouth.net; triumphs at autox.team.net> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008
18:01:46 -0700> Subject: Re: [TR] ramp lenth?> > Hi Paul-> I've been using
1x12's, but have used 1x8's in the past; too narrow for my > nerves and
vision. This size board is PLENTY strong, and the main issues > are: 1) making
it long enough so you don't get high-centered at the edge of > the platform,
and 2) wide enough so you don't drive off the side. Support > at every 10
inches is overkill. My trailer is about a foot off the ground > at the rear,
and I use eight foot ramps supported in the middle (actually > they're two
4-foot pieces so I can fit them into the tow car). Triumphs > have not
bottomed on the trailer as I loaded them, so that's a good length > for the
one foot height. Since you're doubling the height, you'll need > something
longer. If you're into math, you simply have to work out how long > the ramp
must be to allow the TR to clear. Or create a scale drawing. Or > just buy
16-ft boards.> Best,> Skip Gurnee> 64 TR4, 66 TR4A> > ----- Original Message
----- > From: "dorpaul" <dorpaul at bellsouth.net>> To: "list Triumph"
<triumphs at autox.team.net>> Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:51 PM> Subject:
[TR] ramp lenth?> > > > List,> > I used an outside homemade rotisserie to
originally get my TR3's chassis > > (w/o> > engine and tranny) up on a two
foot high platform. This steel 10' > > scaffolding> > platform was constructed
about 4-5 years ago when I started the rebuilding > > of> > this abandoned
restoration. I am planning on driving it off this platform> > within six
months.> > However, I first need to build a dependable wooden ramp to drive it
> > down.> > I want to reuse this ramp in the future for oil changes, work
underneath, > > etc.> > What is a preferable length of ramp for driving this
car, up and down this > > 2'> > high platform? I will be using heavily
supported 2"x 8" treated new pine> > lumber. These vertical wooden supports
will be every 10" or so.> >> > I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel...>