[TR] 1974 TR6

Scott Butler scott at sabutler.com
Sun Oct 12 08:09:46 MDT 2008

Hi Tom,

My 1975 TR6 had a battery that would drain in 1-2 weeks and the problem was
that a PO had attached WO (white orange) leads to the wrong terminal on the
starter solenoid. In my car, there was also other foolishness downstream
which is why making an email diagnosis from a schematic is a dicey
proposition -- one can't assume that the rest of the system hasn't been
Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

IMHO, step 1 in any TR6 electrical troubleshooting is to buy Dan Masters'
book, unless you're already an electrical wiz. (I haven't seen anyone else
suggest this, so I hope I'm not repeating a previous post.) His book has
enabled me to confidently solve my TR6's electrical problems instead of
scaring myself with sparks, smoke, and melted insulation. It's $35.00
including shipping to the US and is available at
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/. This is a lot cheaper than a battery and
will probably enable you to put a lot of other things right. It is a
fantastic book: a worthy, I would say required, companion to the Haynes
workshop manual.

Scott A. Butler
Chagrin Falls, OH
75 TR6 CF51136