[TR] 1974 TR6

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Sun Oct 12 08:34:48 MDT 2008

Tom,

Try attacking the problem from the positive side of the battery versus
negative.  Generally, previous owners will, over time, connect add-on  accessories
to the positive battery post or downstream from where the positive  battery
voltage begins its journey throughout the wiring system.  I've seen
"accessories" tapped onto the positive lug of the starter motor; it's very  common to see
accessories tapped onto the "hot always" spades at the fuse box -  some of
these accessory wires are fused separately under the dash before  reaching the
device they're intended for.  If you find any add-on wiring  anywhere in the
positive battery terminal wiring path or coming off of the "hot  always" side of
the fuse box, start removing the leads one-by-one to isolate the  voltage
drain.  Use your multimeter on the amps scale between the negative  battery post
and ground....you're looking for current (amps) drain not  necessarily volts
to light a lamp.

I have a modern radio/CD player in my TR6 with an "always hot" clock
circuit.  My battery current drain with motor/ignition off is in the  milliamp range.

Check your radio, door courtesy lights, trunk lights, after  market under
bonnet lights, etc that may be staying on after you shut  the motor off.

You should not have to resort to removing the negative battery cable or
using a cutoff switch whenever you park the car in your garage!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1976 TR6  CF57822U

In a message dated 10/11/2008 12:19:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,