[TR] 59 TR3A Steering Column

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 30 20:22:13 MST 2008

> This is a split column steering and the lower end is already installed.

Be sure to leave all the mounting bolts loose (including the pinch bolts
that hold the box to the bracket) until it's all installed.  You don't want
any side force at all on it, so everything needs to line up.

> 1.	At the end of the column of the inner shaft, below the
> splines for
> the steering wheel, there is supposed to be a felt bushing. I
> have the part, which looks like a trapezoid. Does this wrap
> around the fat section of the shaft or just below it?

Fat part.

> Does it fit inside the outer column?

Yes.

> Is it glued in place?

No.  It's trapped between a crimp in the outer column, and the steering
wheel.  Only friction keeps it from turning.  Powder the side against the
inner column with graphite or moly powder.

> 2.	Doe you insert the stator tube in the steering column
> and then the
> wire harness or do you install the wire harness in the stator
> tube, then insert the stator tube in the column?

I've tried it both ways, and wouldn't say there's a large difference either
way.  But it seems marginally easier to pull the wires partway through the
tube first (so the bullets just barely protrude) and then poke the tube
through the column.  If you install the tube first, it's more effort to move
from end to end of it, as you alternately pull on the wires and coax them
into the tube.

Randall