[TR] cars for kids

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Fri Nov 21 06:01:29 MST 2008

I'm picking up a creampuff 1996 Toyota Camry 4 door 5 speed tonight
for my 16 year old daughter.  She's so excited she can't stand
it.  135,000 miles, and ready for another 150,000 or so.  I'm
surprised no one has mentioned Toyotas so far (except maybe as a pickup).

She's currently driving her mom's subaru (outback wagon, 2002?) - at
95,000 miles it seems ready for some major work - like possibly a
tranny.  It's always had an underhood fuel leak when it's cold out -
I mean, what could go wrong?  :)  After Irv and Ernie's experiences
with Subie's I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.  I'm not
implying that you Subie fans are wrong, just that there is "the other
side of the story".  Also, "well maintained" is probably not a good
way to describe the treatment it received.

By the way, I'm told that you are not supposed to slide sideways
through corners on the public roads?  Maybe I'll have to stop doing
that sometime...   Nah.  30 plus years of practice makes perfect?

- Tony Drews