[TR] cars for kids

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 07:44:16 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Drews <tony at tonydrews.com>
  ...surprised no one has mentioned Toyotas so far (except maybe as a pickup). ...

==AM==
Only because I hadn't gotten around to posting on this topic. ;-)

Two years ago, my daughter was about ready to get her license, and she needed a car. We kept our eyes open for something safe, reliable and inexpensive. Suddenly, there it was on a side road about two miles from our house: 1992 Toyota Paseo for $800. The car had about 220k on it, with probably at least the last 100k or so being all highway miles. Solid, straight, ran beautifully...and the guy needed to sell it quickly, so he counter-offered it to us for $400 before we could even bargain the $800 asking price down to, say, $600!

It served her very well until she found the pickup she really needed for her activities at the time. We almost sold the Paseo as she was headed off to college, but then the pickup suffered a major breakdown just before she was due to leave for school. So the Paseo went back on the road for several months. It sat again until her younger brother could finish paying her for it and get his license, and it now serves him very well and reliably.

So far, the biggest repair heartbreak was having to replace the original speedometer/odometer, now reading 235k, with one that read only 135k. :-) Otherwise, it has required nothing substantial beyond normal brake/tire replacement...and a RF park/turn lamp to replace the one the deer got.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>