[TR] cars for kids

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 21 06:05:43 MST 2008

I remember that my very first car caused my late Dad much thought as, bless him, he bought it for
me.
He knew I wanted a sports car yet he also knew that such a beast was likely to be unsuitable unless
the spec chosen was going to meet *his* requirements vis a vis how I might use it and the dangers
involved.
The compromise manifested itself in the form of a 1938 MG TA two seater with four very
unsynchronised gears, less than re-assuring brakes and something that made a noise that was entirely
disproportionate to its actual velocity. It cost just over GBP400 in 1962 and it sure was one of the
better TA's around at the time. I *loved* that car and got more fun out of it in showing my friends
how you could make silent up and down gearchanges, while using the gearbox to assist the less than
adequate cable operated brakes. I don't think at any time in the four years that I had it that I
ever did more than seventy mph and it felt like I was broaching Mach 1 !
Of course, TA's are like hen's teeth today and they cost way, way more than what Dad paid for mine.
But times change. Traffic is far more aggressive and we all think side impact sytems, crumple
zones - and a lot more besides.
To contribute to this thread, I'd go for a 240 Volvo or some kind of Euro diesel like a Golf
(Rabbit) or a Polo, or - one of the Suzukis. I've had two Suzuki Vitaras (Sidekicks) and the family
as a whole errs towards Suzis as daily drivers. The current model used by *Head Office* (SWMBO) is a
993cc 3 cylinder three door hatchback. Goes quite quickly, parks easily, has plenty of space and
important for us where fuel cost is a major consideration, will easily do 48-50mpg on local trips.
We also have a Suzuki Cappucino for the summer months as this is smaller than but faster than a
Spitfire and terrific fun. Arranging the Trans-America Drive for next year has totally prevented me
driving my much-loved Triumph 2.5 Injection saloon throughout 2008 and I wouldn't drive it in 2009
either - so we said goodbye to one another some six weeks ago after ten years of blissful marriage.
Maybe a return to Triumph ownership in 2010 will see me acquiring a Stag as they're still plentiful
in the UK - and for my personal needs, offer the comfort I knew so well in my old Big Six
Sorry, rambling too much and getting away from topic.

Jonmac