[TR] I give up

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Nov 7 22:03:36 MST 2008

On 7 Nov 2008 at 19:47, Denman Mike wrote:

> Couldn't the wire be nothing more than a shunt. A shunt, for those not
> familiar with the term as used electrically, is used to reduce the
> amperage through the gage.

Well, yes.  That's exactly what I described the first time, a large
wire that carries most of the current, with a much lower current
bypassing the shunt and going through whatever sort of gauge is
desired.  Another term would be voltaqge divider, an array of
resistors to pre-determine how much current goes through which path
and thus what voltage each will see.  The difference as you describe
it is that the shunt would be to reduce a current or voltage by some
moderate fraction, in your case 1/2, which is to say to split current
across two different paths by 50/50.  With a conventional current-
detect circuit it might be to divide currents by 99% and 1%.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+