[TR] TR4 Stromberg needle selection

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 3 23:38:21 MST 2008

The car is stock AFAIK, no mods to my knowledge or observation-- (I just
bought it, but there are lots of reasons to believe it's very original.  175
CD Strombergs.  I haven't run it since buying it -- it needs a full fuel
system overhaul.

I bought carb kits for my '64 TR4 from Joe Curto, and he sent 2H needles, but
all books call for a 2A needle for TR4's.  TR4A's use a 2H needle, but they've
got a different cam too.  The needle specs show the 2H is roughly .009"
thinner at most stations, so this is going to be a much richer needle.

I called Joe Curto and he said he meant to send this needle, as it's the
"go-to" needle for TR4's.  If that's so, why didn't the factory change the
specs ?

I know he rebuilds lots of carbs, but I hesitate to change from stock till I
have a reason to do so.

Anyone got a Stromberg-equipped TR4 ?  What needle do you use ?

Thanks !
Karl

Life is like a jar of jalapenos --
  What you do today might