[TR] TR4 Stromberg needle selection

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 06:24:53 MST 2008

If that's so, why didn't the factory change the
specs ?

Karl,

In a nutshell.....I'm guessing that the 2A needle was the "best match" in
1964 for performance and driveability over the entire range of rpm and was
probably best suited to 1964 fuel composition (which included lead to improve
anti-knocking).

Fast forward to the 21st century and, while performance and  driveability
concerns haven't changed, fuel composition certainly has and  that's where more
robust (richer) needles like the 2H can help.   Try the 2H needles and see if
they work well for you....I gave up stock needles  many years ago and have
never regretted it.  I'm using B1E needles on my  TR6 Strombergs (later adjustable
needle style 175 CDs) which are quite a bit  "thinner" than stock.  My engine
has been extensively modified so these  needles work very well but I've
fitted them on TR6 motors with lesser  modifications and have gotten similar good
response.

So, you could rebuild with 2A and see how it runs then swap out the needles
for the 2H and compare - my preference would be to install the 2H and  enjoy!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1976 TR6  CF57822U