[TR] Changing TR3 Rear Leaf Springs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri May 23 18:06:08 MDT 2008

>      Unless you want to drill a hole in the body just aft of
> the doors, is it possible to change them out without lifting
> the body off of the frame?

Maybe.  The front of the spring is held to the frame by a special pin that
passes through a tube in the frame.  There is a tapped hole in the pin,
which in theory can be used to pull the pin out of the frame and spring.
With the pin out of the way, the rest is trivial.

Sorry I don't recall the thread size offhand, but you should be able to make
a suitable puller from some high-tensile threaded rod  (MMC has Grade B7),
washers and nuts; plus a suitable length of pipe.  I'd suggest also spraying
the pins with Kroil or PB Blaster and letting it soak in overnight.  Use a
good lube on the threads.

When the nut feels tight enough to strip something, try whacking the other
end of the pin sharply with a 3-5 pound hammer a few times.  The shock of
the hammer blows should help loosen it in the tube.  Hopefully the nut will
then turn a bit more.  Repeat as necessary (or until you're ready to remove
the body).  I switched nuts & threaded rod for the other side, as the first
one looked pretty badly worn.

Randall