[TR] Changing TR3 Rear Leaf Springs

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Fri May 23 17:14:58 MDT 2008

     So I was in my TR3 pulling away from a stop sign when I heard something like four shot gun blasts in rapid succession and the left rear corner of the car dropped several inches. I got out and found that 4 leaves on the springs had broken at the leading edge of the lowest short spring leaf. I was fortunate to have not been doing one of my land speed record runs...
     Has anyone done a write-up on how to change out the leaf springs? I did a write-up years ago on how to change out floor pans.
     Unless you want to drill a hole in the body just aft of the doors, is it possible to change them out without lifting the body off of the frame?
     If you want to jack up the car body off of the frame, leaving the forward most mounting bolts loose as pivots, what do you need to connect first? Any idea how long this all takes?
     TIA,

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA