[TR] [6pack] Replacing oil pan gasket

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue May 13 09:29:24 MDT 2008

Hi,

To the advocates of using sealant on both sides of the gasket, I need to
ask - with sealant on both sides, how do you remove the pan without
cocking up the gasket? Not that you'd ever need to remove the pan.

:-)

I always seal to one surface (usually the surface on the part that is
removed to perform service) and assemble dry to the other surface. This
way the part can wiggle when you install and the whole thing can come
apart for service when needed and in a lot of cases (like the oil pan) you
can re-use the gasket.

Then again, I'm not a mechanic by trade...

rml