[TR] Suspension bushings redux

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Thu May 8 15:24:45 MDT 2008

Brian,
FYI: TR4 front suspensions are more difficult to rebuild than TR4A..
In general I like to buy from US vendors as they're closer but sometimes I
have to recommend faraway vendors - in this case I recommend RevingtonTR for TR4
suspension parts. Neil Revington promotes using 2 oilite bronze bushes to
replace the 1 original softer brass bushing in each A arm. These can be bought
from RevingtonTR or your local hardware store and pushed in with a vice - one
inserted from each side - leaving 1/8" 'grease groove' inbetween them. No
reaming required, and supposedly longer lasting.  If your
trunnion-threads-to-your-vertical link-threads are in excellent shape, but trunnion shafts are scored
and worn as typical, Revington sells new trunnion shafts. A machine shop can
easily push out & in the shafts. And only RevingtonTR sells the critical 'one-use
only' TR4 cross shaft-end 'thrust washers' - 4 required, for about 2 bucks
each (I couldn't get these special washers at the Big 3 vendors in the US - even
though they advertised otherwise, costing me time and money).
The rubber grease/dust seals (16 required) look great from Revington too
(although not proven) - I bought them after my favorite US vendor told me "I might
need to replace THEIR rubber seals every year."
The Triumph factory spec'd some pretty good rubber and nylon parts for the
TR4 suspension in my opinion, as well as the rubber steering rack blocks and
rubber/nylon steering column bushes. They did this after some years of trial and
error to arrive at a balance of performance and comfort (while reducing stress
points like that to the vulnerable and now unavailable steering 'pinion
gear'). I wouldn't hesitate trying stock first - unless you know you'll always be
pushing for more performance over comfort - and don't mind slightly more road
feel and/or wear.
Make sure you compare your A-arms to the Workshop Manual specs - they get
bent out of spec pretty easy but heat 'n hammer straightens 'em out.
Would definitely recommend the factory option anti-sway bar, not sure about
the heavier bars as I don't like their 1-bolt hook up versus 2-bolt hookup to
those bendy front A-arms!
Good luck,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
  ps; I would think front suspension springs would be ok, but shocks would
need renewing, rather than other way around.. my front springs measure exactly
10.1" free height, just like the book said they should..
Also, who do the list see as the (TR4) bushing supplier of choice?
TriumphTune,
BPNW, Moss, Revington, TRF all get regular mentions.
Many thanks,
Brian in Valley Forge
Triumph TR4 1963 CT14455-L<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Wondering what's for
Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.<BR>
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)</HTML>