[TR] Transmission Conversion

David Ljung Madison team.net at Daveola.com
Thu May 8 00:44:10 MDT 2008

I sent this response to Bob and realized it would probably make
sense to go to the whole list:

Bob said:
> Herman is now strongly recommending that the slip in the driveshaft be
> totally eliminated. His locking collar only prevents the driveshaft from
> moving in but there's nothing to prevent it from moving out and pushing the

It is - because the driveshaft is fully extended in the locked position,
so it can't move in either direction - so the only slip is in the
tranny flange.

Also, Joe Burlein said:
> I am curious what the big attraction is to going to the Nissan/Toyota 5
> speed conversion?

Here's my rundown for the decision.  First of all, keep in mind
that the current state of my transmission was non-O.D. and broken,
and my car is a daily driver (with highway use)

Rebuild TR3 Tranny
------------------
+ Original (Possibly the original tranny from the car!)
- Hard to find gears
- Likely to need rebuild soon
- Highway driving is very high RPM
- Need to do a transmission rebuild, more difficult than a
  transmission replacement or conversion.
Cost ~$1200 or more for parts?

TR3 O.D. Tranny
---------------
+ Original Equipment (if not the original transmission)
+ Highway driving improved
- Very hard to find replacement parts
- Still needs to be rebuilt often
- Need to find one
Cost: ??  Last ebay O.D. was ~$1700??  Might need rebuild?

Toyoto Conversion
-----------------
- Not original
+ Highway driving improved
+ Transmission is bullet-proof, rarely needs rebuild
+ Conversion very well made
+ No more rebuilding even, just get a replacement transmission for ~$200
- Cost was higher than expected because of additional parts I didn't know
  I needed + a bunch of next day shipping :(, and because of machining costs.
Cost: Kit+parts+machining+transmission  ~$2400 (I expected ~$2k)

It took some serious though, but I decided I didn't want to deal with another
Triumph transmission rebuild considering the last one went badly and only
lasted four years.

Dave