[TR] 1972 TR6 Seat Bolster Springs - Imagine My Frustration...

cole.jw at comcast.net cole.jw at comcast.net
Wed May 7 13:27:34 MDT 2008

 I bought a beautiful seat upholstery kit.
 I bought a complete seat foam kit from the UK.
 I bought new seat bottom diaphragms and straps for the seat backs.

 I didn't have time to install them on the frames, so I took them to a shop. Ten hours, totaling $620 was the estimate. Does it really take that long to cover a pair of TR6 seats when everything is already made and they have no intention of repairing or refinishing the frames? I left them to the task. I was unhappy with the quote, but at least it was getting done in a week. Four weeks in, still nothing. When I called and complained about how long it has taken, they pulled the upholstery off of the driver's seat and discovered broken bolster springs in the seat back.

 I have not found a place to buy replacements.  I got my hands on a piece of proper diameter spring steel. I commenced copying the springs by using a torch to heat the spring steel. It seems to be working, but I question how long they will last, having been heated. I am running out of spring steel and need to locate more. Am I on the right track or completely off the rails here? Does my frustration show?

Jerry Cole
Lakewood, WA.
1972 TR6 (Helen Back)