[TR] 1972 TR6 Seat Bolster Springs - Imagine My Frustration...

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed May 7 15:19:31 MDT 2008

> I commenced
> copying the springs by using a torch to heat the spring
> steel. It seems to be working, but I question how long they
> will last, having been heated. I am running out of spring
> steel and need to locate more. Am I on the right track or
> completely off the rails here?

If you've heated them enough to bend, and then let them cool on their own;
there's a very good chance you've ruined the 'spring' temper.

As I recall, the 'book' method for springs is to first completely anneal
them to equalize stresses introduced during forming (which generally
requires heating to cherry red then let cool slowly in an oxygen-free
environment); then reheat to red and quench in oil (not water).  Then a
third tempering step is required, with lower heat and quenching again in
oil.  The temperature in the final step is more critical (but I don't recall
the color offhand, maybe something like "light straw").

Easier IMO to cold-form them; or easier yet to find a stock spring you can
cut to length.

Randall