[TR] Transmission Conversions

Joe Burlein supertr6 at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 04:55:29 MDT 2008

David/Bob/etc,

I am curious what the big attraction is to going to the Nissan/Toyota 5
speed conversion?  I have the standard 4 speed with overdrive and don't
have a problem cruising on the highway at a reasonable RPM in
4th/overdrive.  My transmission doesn't have a problem shifting gears
and is very smooth.  It is also drum tight and doesn't leak.  (Granted,
it was rebuilt by British Sports Car Works about 10 years ago)  So, why
the conversions?  Did you guys not want to add overdrive or couldn't
find one?  Is the gearing better in the new diffs compared to the old?

Thanks,

Joe