[TR] Rover - back to Triumphs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 24 15:19:36 MST 2008

> It is only (perhaps) through the use/misuse of the English
> language in many parts of the world where
> the word *standard* (which Maudslay's thoughts might be
> construed to mean "oiptimum benchmark
> quality, together with his future vision, have become
> downgraded to mean ordinary and/or basic.

With respect to Sir Reginald, I rather doubt that "standard" by itself
really carried that connotation even in 1903.  But even if it did, the
advent of mass production (and cost control measures) has surely weakened it
to mean "the default", or "just acceptable".  After all, anything less than
"standard" would be "sub-standard", and no one would want to admit to that !

Randall