[TR] Rover - back to Triumphs

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 24 17:19:51 MST 2008

Randall Young wrote
> With respect to Sir Reginald, I rather doubt that "standard" by itself
> really carried that connotation even in 1903.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? It was more than 100 years ago. Interesting though that he selected the
British Union Flag as the company's emblem, together with a Roman Centurion - both which in their
own way in the UK have long been regarded as symbols of excellence and in his day were
unquestionable pinnacles.

>But even if it did, the
> advent of mass production (and cost control measures) has surely weakened it
> to mean "the default", or "just acceptable".  After all, anything less than
> "standard" would be "sub-standard", and no one would want to admit to that !

I'd agree there. In the late 1950's The Standard Motor Company made quite a lot of sub-standard
stuff - mostly Heralds (sorry Mr. Mace). The senior management was collectively considered by
popular opinion to be of a similar vein and there were many other issues of a sub-standard nature in
terms of the imprudent use of the firm's finances, that eventually caused it to hit a very
unforgiving wall :)

Jonmac