[TR] Rover - back to Triumphs

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 24 08:50:23 MST 2008

Bill Davies wrote:
> Well as Jonmac quite rightly says, ALL post war Triumphs were really
> Standards, with a less austere sounding company name.

Austere? Perhaps.

I quote from "Triumph Sports Cars" by WG Krause. "The company was founded on the premise that all
parts for all cars would be interchangeable - hence the name "Standard" unquote.

I also quote from notes written by JR Davy (Standard Triumph's historian, now dead) of a
conversation between Maudslay and his close company associate, a Mr. Craig in which Maudslay is
recorded as having said, "I am determined Mr. Craig, that all components will be made to the highest
possible standard. I shall therefore call my car the Standard car" unquote

It is only (perhaps) through the use/misuse of the English language in many parts of the world where
the word *standard* (which Maudslay's thoughts might be construed to mean "oiptimum benchmark
quality, together with his future vision, have become downgraded to mean ordinary and/or basic. It
is also why Standard cars sold in North America were mostly badged as Triumphs - and long before the
Standard name was finally abandoned in the UK with the Vanguard Ensign in 1963.

Jonmac