[TR] ZDDP and Oil reformulation

Dennis N Culligan dncullig at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 10 06:50:27 MST 2008

With all this talk of oil, I thought  I'd forward this note I saw on the
Spridgets list a few weeks ago...

Dennis Culligan / Highland, NY / 1976 TR6 CF57948U

Reformulation of 20W50 Racing Oil
Lubestream Direct Connect

February 22, 2008
Dear ConocoPhillips Lubricants Marketer,

As part of our ongoing commitment to identify and provide
you, our valued Marketers, with products, programs and
tools to help you grow your business, we are pleased to
announce that 76 High Performance Motor Oil SAE 20W-50,
Kendall GT-1. High Performance Motor Oil SAE 20W-50 and
Phillips TropArtic. Racing Motor Oil 20W-50 will be
reformulated.

The reformulated oils will contain a boosted level of zinc
dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) in order to offer enhanced
wear protection and oxidation resistance for use in the
most demanding applications. The new formulations will be
in production in all plants by March 1.

We are confident that the enhanced formulation will address
concerns within the industry about current ILSAC GF-4 and
API SM engine oils and whether they contain sufficient
levels of ZDDP to protect older engines, especially
high-performance engines with flat-tappet camshafts. The
newly reformulated SAE 20W-50 viscosity grades of 76 High
Performance Motor Oil, Kendall GT-1. High Performance Motor
Oil and Phillips TropArtic. Racing Motor Oil will contain
approximately 1200 ppm zinc. Higher levels of ZDDP, which
provide antiwear/antiscuff protection as well as oxidation
inhibition, can help protect these new camshafts during the
critical break-in period.

The reformulated SAE 20W-50 viscosity grades will continue
to provide excellent protection in gasoline-fueled
competition engines, turbocharged engines, and
high-performance street engines, including those with
flat-tappet camshafts.

Please be sure to share this exciting reformulation
announcement with your customers who service
high-performance racing engines and stay tuned for
announcements about the availability of this reformulated
product. Please contact your MSR with any questions.

Sincerely,

Phil Sontag
Director of Marketing, Automotive Lubricants