[TR] Non Triumph, rear disc brake question -

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Mon Mar 10 06:08:08 MST 2008

Guys and Gals -
I am going to mount disc brake s to the rear of my 40 ford truck (Triumph
parts hauler) and can mount them in almost any position.  The best for
parking brake location would be at 10 O-clock (the fronts are at 9) but
have noticed that almost all disc brake calipers in the rear are mounted or
clocked at opposite or near opposite angles from the front.
Does any body know why the rear disc brake calipers would be mounted with
clocking opposite those of the front?  On every car IVE seen this is done
(maybe I need to look at more cars :-}).  I cant really see any reason for
this but the mechanical designer in me says there must be some engineering
reason for it, and not simply because it is easier to mount them this way.
Ive seen front calipers mounted at both 9 and 3 oclock positions and in
both cases the rears are clocked opposite the fronts. Ive goggled it but
couldnt really find any thing useful.  What am I missing here  inquiring
minds want to know before I install these on the truck

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA