[TR] Smoking TR3 after replacing Head Gasket

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 9 16:07:08 MDT 2008

On Monday 09 June 2008 06:01 pm, Allan Reich wrote:
> I have just replaced a blown head gasket and now have a smoking TR3 !
> There was lots of water in the oil, in fact it was totally emulsified!
> The oil was a creamy mixture when it came out. I drained the oil and
> replaced the spin-on filter.
> After filling it with fresh oil, I started it up and there was lots of
> smoke .. it was not blue or too smelly.  After 1/2 hour of running, it
> was till smoking the same amount. The car is running as well as ever,
> with all cylinders contributing equal amounts when I do a "relative
> contribution check" by pulling off a single spark plug lead
> I checked the dipstick and I did notice tiny bubbles (maybe three or
> four on the dip-stick) ... must be residue of water that was stuck in
> the pan and other hidden storage areas.
> My questions to the group are:
> - Do you think just changing the oil will fix things?
> - Is the tiny bit of water in the slipping by the oil rings?
> - Can I just run it and it will eventually burn/steam off?
>
> Allan Reich - Vancouver
> 1960 TR3A - TS56713L (+O)
Allan,

If the smoke is white that indicates that you have coolant in the combustion
chamber. If it is still there after 1/2 hour could mean you either have
another bad gasket, warped head or a crack in the head relative to the water
jacket.

Maybe it is time to take the head to a machine shop to have it checked out.

Bob