[TR] Smoking TR3 after replacing Head Gasket

Skip Gurnee skip47 at clearwire.net
Mon Jun 9 16:47:52 MDT 2008

Hi Allan-
I'll jump in here and provide some basics, no doubt there are lots of others
who have better or more knowledge, so pay attention to everybody....
1.  Any water in the oil is a bad thing.  If you haven't found the original
culprit, you must, because it won't go away by itself, unless water was
allowed to get into the oil when you disassembled the engine.
2.  Since it's connected with a head gasket change, the gasket must be
suspect.  Is it possible the gasket was installed incorrectly, in some way
as to allow water and oil passages to cross  (i.e. upside down, for a
different engine, with larger or smaller bores, etc.?
3.  Is the head warped or block/liners no longer flat?  Did any of the
liners move when you removed the head to replace the gasket?  - there's a
gasket at the base of each liner which separates oil from water; if the
liners aren't sealing properly, you'll get oil/water mixing.
4.  Did you torque the head properly?  (I had a click-type torque wrench
that clicked at an indicated 80 lbs but was only turning 70, leaving
everything looser than it should be...)
5.  Smoke is caused by contaminants.  Either water or oil will do it.  Is
water coming out of the exhaust pipe?

Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4