[TR] Smoking TR3 after replacing Head Gasket

Allan Reich areich at telus.net
Mon Jun 9 16:01:19 MDT 2008

I have just replaced a blown head gasket and now have a smoking TR3 !
There was lots of water in the oil, in fact it was totally emulsified!
The oil was a creamy mixture when it came out. I drained the oil and
replaced the spin-on filter.
After filling it with fresh oil, I started it up and there was lots of
smoke .. it was not blue or too smelly.  After 1/2 hour of running, it
was till smoking the same amount. The car is running as well as ever,
with all cylinders contributing equal amounts when I do a "relative
contribution check" by pulling off a single spark plug lead
I checked the dipstick and I did notice tiny bubbles (maybe three or
four on the dip-stick) ... must be residue of water that was stuck in
the pan and other hidden storage areas.
My questions to the group are:
- Do you think just changing the oil will fix things?
- Is the tiny bit of water in the slipping by the oil rings?
- Can I just run it and it will eventually burn/steam off?

Allan Reich - Vancouver
1960 TR3A - TS56713L (+O)