[TR] starter or battery

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 15:22:25 MDT 2008

> The second battery was from Canadian Tire,
> an automotive
> private label retailer. I got exactly what I paid for: two
> months out of
> warranty

Normally, David, I'd say 3 batteries in 5 years is way short.  But the above
statement puzzles me, since I buy batteries with warranty periods of 5 and 6
years.  Seems to me you must be buying much shorter-lived batteries.

As suggested, wouldn't hurt to check charging system voltage.  But a
"boiling" battery may also indicate a shorted cell, which is a common
failure mode.

Also wouldn't hurt to have the starting current checked out.  A worn starter
may draw much more current than usual, which can shorten battery life.

Randall