[TR] starter or battery

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 9 16:01:03 MDT 2008

On Monday 09 June 2008 03:31 pm, David Soknacki wrote:
> Since starter motor chatter is happening to me when I turn the key of my
> TR6, I've been following the discussion with interest. I think my problem
> is my battery.
>
> But in the five years I've owned my TR6, three batteries have failed. Is
> this normal?
>
> Every winter the battery is disconnected from the car, and stored at room
> temperature (70 deg F / 22 deg C). There's no problem starting in the
> spring. Between battery two and three I had the alternator checked out. The
> alternator is charging fine now.
>
> Admittedly, the first battery came with the car, so I don't know its
> previous history. The second battery was from Canadian Tire, an automotive
> private label retailer. I got exactly what I paid for: two months out of
> warranty it boiled over and ruined the paint in my engine bay. The third
> battery is an Interstate, after recommendation from an advisor on their
> website and local mechanic. This battery is now about a year old and is the
> one that needs replacing. Yes, it's under warranty.
>
> So is there something I ought to be doing differently, is this rate of
> battery replacement just bad luck, or is it typical?
>
> Many thanks
>
> David Soknacki
> 74 TR6 CF22072U

Dave,

For all my seasonal batteries (6) I use a "Battery Tender" to keep them
charged when they are in storage down in the cellar during the winter.

I also use a Tender to hook up my Triumph Tbird during the winter eventhough
it is stored in the very cold garage. The battery on the Tbird is in its 6th
season and shows no signs of letting down. The reason I dont take the battery
out of the MC is because it is a PITA. SO I just leave it on the tender all
winter.

In the spring all my batteries are ready to go in the Car (2), Older Triumph
MC, camper, and lawn mower tractor. All batteries are of the maintenance free
variety so I never have to worry about filling them etc.

Tenders are available everywhere.

My investment in the 2 tenders seems to be paying off for me so far.

Bob