[TR] starter or battery

David Soknacki soknacki at soknacki.com
Mon Jun 9 13:31:39 MDT 2008

Since starter motor chatter is happening to me when I turn the key of my
TR6, I've been following the discussion with interest. I think my problem is
my battery.

But in the five years I've owned my TR6, three batteries have failed. Is
this normal?

Every winter the battery is disconnected from the car, and stored at room
temperature (70 deg F / 22 deg C). There's no problem starting in the
spring. Between battery two and three I had the alternator checked out. The
alternator is charging fine now.

Admittedly, the first battery came with the car, so I don't know its
previous history. The second battery was from Canadian Tire, an automotive
private label retailer. I got exactly what I paid for: two months out of
warranty it boiled over and ruined the paint in my engine bay. The third
battery is an Interstate, after recommendation from an advisor on their
website and local mechanic. This battery is now about a year old and is the
one that needs replacing. Yes, it's under warranty.

So is there something I ought to be doing differently, is this rate of
battery replacement just bad luck, or is it typical?

Many thanks

David Soknacki
74 TR6 CF22072U