[TR] Electric Fuel Pump Pressure Issue

emanteno at comcast.net emanteno at comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 11:51:44 MDT 2008

From: "William C. Quincy" <wquincy at cox.net>

> Greetings listers,
> Ive just added a electric fuel pump (CB Performance model 3193
> rotary fuel pump)
> It is advertised to pump at 3 = p.s.i. It seems to be pumping to
> much pressure
> for my SUs. After 10 to 20 minutes gas is flowing out of the float
> breather tubes.
> Im guessing a pressure regulator is the fix. So, is there any
> pressure reg. brand or pressure setting recommendation. Or maybe an
> other direction to go.

If the pump is truly pushing 3 psi, I'm surprised that you are having this issue. I regularly ran 5 psi into the HS6's on my vintage race TR4, with no overflow issues whatsoever, even idleing in the paddock. One of my friends runs as high as 7 psi on his vintage race TR4. The only time I had fuel coming from the overflow was when 1 of the floats failed and sunk. This is happening more and more, at least at the track, due to some of the additives in the gas. The regulator of choice is the Holley, but to set it, you also need a fuel pressure gauge. I'm not a believer in the little round disc regulators that you adjust by turning a dial.
HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL