[TR] Fuel additives

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 10:11:36 MDT 2008

> Also, I've been running my 1 yr old TR4a with the highest octane I can
> find
> and adding lead substitute in every tank fuel. Assuming you didn't convert
> to lead-free valves during the head rebuild, what's everyone else running?

Ironically enough, I never used lead substitute with the original valve
seats on my TR3A, and never had a problem.  But when I had a head redone
with hardened seats, THEN I had a problem!  (Most likely caused by the
racing valve springs I installed at the same time.)

My point (and advice) is to save your money and don't use a lead substitute.
Chances are very good that you'll never have a problem with seat recession;
and if you do, you'll have saved enough money to cover most if not all the
cost of upgrading the seats.

Even with severe recession going on, I drove the car daily for several years
and many thousands of miles.  I knew I had recession because I had to adjust
the valves every 2-3000 miles to keep it running smoothly, but it wasn't a
problem otherwise until I started to run out of adjustment ...

Randall