[TR] Fuel additives

Geo Hahn ahwahnee18 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:23:23 MDT 2008

I never used lead substitutes and finally had significant recession
that prompted me to have the TR4 head done with the inserts.

Had driven many years w/o a problem but then did a 1000+ mile weekend
that was mostly what the manual calls 'fast road work'.  The speed
limit out here is 75 mph so I will leave it to your imagination how
fast that roadwork was.

It wasn't a problem, got home fine.  A routine valve lash check
revealed the recession.

Anyway, my opinion is that it's okay to wait and see what happens
unless the head is off for other work anyway.

As for premium fuel, that is a different matter that gets into
compression and what is needed to control pinging/pinking.  I do use
premium in the TR4.