[TR] Soldered Wire Connections in Cars

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 16:53:56 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/11/2008 11:06:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com writes:

Is this  urban myth, or is there truth to it?

I was a keen touring motorcyclist  and added a great deal of electrical
componentry to my motorcycle via an  Autocom control system to 'manage' to
in-helmet speakers with each of CB,  Cellphone, Music/Radio, Radar
detector, and GPS. The protocol for joining  wires among the motorcycle
groups I knew (online and in-person) was to  solder and protect with
heat-shrink wrapping around the joint. My memory  of riding tells me that
motorcycles are subject to more vibration than  cars (a wider range and
greater intensity). I don't recall a well-soldered  joint in wiring failing
on my motorcycle.

Having been 'up close and  personal' with my car's voltage control box
recently, I noted there were  several soldered joints in that unit. They
should vibrate more than a  loosely held  wire.

Brian

The only mechanic who ever told me tha soldered wires would  fatigue, after I
found a new regulator with twisted wires instead of  soldered, tended to take
sort cuts.
Also, I worked several years at a NASA Lab, and I promise you that none of
our spacecraft ever had twisted wires. They were soldered. I attended a class
directed towards making sure the solder did not become a structural joint.
When I installed a brand new wiring harness in my Jaguar when I restored  it,
several of the connector ends came off when I pulled the connection  apart.
The mfg solution was to solder the ends on. Noneof my cars have had  a wiring
connection fail because the joint was soldered.
Mike Moore