[TR] Fwd: Coil failure

ray at raysmg.com ray at raysmg.com
Fri Jul 11 14:40:41 MDT 2008

   Mark,  I  replaced the coil in my TR3 just this week as well; while at
   it I also did points, plugs, condenser, and button.

   I can't say for sure that the coil I had been running since purchasing
   the  car   (3  years)  was bad, or going bad, but the chronic symptoms
   were  there.  On  very hot days, in stop and go traffic, where lots of
   heat  is  generated from under the bonnet, I would experience the loss
   of  a  cylinder  at  random.  Checks of the plugs firing at idle would
   appear more or less normal but on acceleration, loss of fire to one or
   more  cylinders  would  continue.  A rest in the shade with the bonnet
   raised, while doing some head scratching, would lead to a recovery.

   I  installed  a Pertronix coil...we'll see if that effects a long term
   cure.

   Ray

   Ray McCaleb

   ray at raysmg.com