[TR] Fwd: Coil failure

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Jul 11 11:08:20 MDT 2008

On 11 Jul 2008 at 11:56, Oliver wrote:

> i'm hardly qualifed to answer given my knowledge compared to
> the level of expertise on the list.

Same here (but that never stopped me).

> if the coils are constantly failing, perhaps that is
> a symptom rather than a cause.

Agreed.  It suggests the coil is overheating, maybe.  Should there be
a resitor in the primary circuit that is missing?  Could you having a
bad condensor, perhaps shorted?  (Just a guess.)  Are you points
staying closed too much because perhaps the cam follower is wearing
too fast?

My Spitfire has a Lucas CEI ignition and I think a Lucas Sport coil.
It has run faithfully for 20 years, except once when the engine was
rebuilt and the solid-state thingy in the CEI box turned out to be a
GM module so repalcement was trivial.  Of course, now it will
probably fail tomorrow.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com