[TR] Fwd: Coil failure

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 11 11:03:52 MDT 2008

> Does anyone have a
> recommendation for the best coil for a TR4. The last 2 coils that
> failed on my TR4 were lucas sport coils.

My suggestion is to not give the Prince of Darkness the chance.  ANY other
make of coil will be more reliable.  A common (cheap) American coil can be
used by adding a suitable ballast resistor.  Both coil and resistor should
be available at any auto parts store.  Of course you may also need to change
the high tension lead terminal, if you are still using the original screw-in
type.  Again, the terminal is available at your FLAPS.

Or, TRF has Pertronix coils on sale, that should also do fine.  Your choice
of PTR201 in black for $38.48 or for $4.50 more you can have PTR203 in
chrome.

My TR3A is still wearing the coil I bought at K-mart over 20 years (and lots
of miles) ago.

Randall