[TR] TR4 Voltage Reg/Igniton Light

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 19:08:58 MST 2008

> Is any of this suggestive of needed adjustment, cleaning or
> other maintenance required?

Yup, cutout relay inside the control box most likely needs adjustment.
There's a procedure in the book, but most likely just turning the tension
adjustment (on the frame behind the cutout contacts) in by 1/2 turn or so
will fix the problem.  If you go too far, the light won't go out when you
start the engine.

> It only happens once a week or less so I can surely live with it,

Be sure to deal with it promptly; as the generator windings and probably the
cutout contacts are being overloaded.  Basically the generator is trying to
act like an electric motor but is stalled because it's not strong enough to
turn the engine.

Randall