[TR] Cleaning Lucas Switches

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 26 11:06:15 MST 2008

Randall,

> Dielectric grease isn't such a good thing around switch contacts, so I'd
> just use the contact cleaner.

The primary one that I was thinking about using the dielectric grease on
is the headlight switch which appears to have sliding contacts. It looks
as if it was greased originally. I gather that you wouldn't recommend
grease in this one either?
> Unless testing shows a problem, I wouldn't disassemble them.  Just squirt in
> some contact cleaner and work the switch back and forth a few times.  Leave
> the sealed switches sealed.  My wiper switch is still the original AFAIK and
> still works fine.

I had wondered how reliable they were and if I should try to disassemble
them for cleaning.
> Squirt some of your favorite penetrating oil (eg PB Blaster) on them and let
> soak for a few days.  Then try to work the button in and out.  If it's all
> the way in and has no play whatsoever, probably the easiest thing is to look
> for another switch.  I've seen several where the spring inside has rusted
> and broken.  You could try drilling a tiny hole and pushing on the button
> from the other side ...

I have already treated them with PB Blaster. As a last resort, drilling
the tiny hole is an excellent idea. About the only risk would be
snagging the spring and damaging it, but after all it would be the last
resort.

Thanks!

Mike