[TR] Cleaning Lucas Switches

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 11:27:26 MST 2008

> > Dielectric grease isn't such a good thing around switch
> contacts, so
> > I'd just use the contact cleaner.
> >
> The primary one that I was thinking about using the
> dielectric grease on is the headlight switch which appears to
> have sliding contacts. It looks as if it was greased
> originally. I gather that you wouldn't recommend grease in
> this one either?

Good contact cleaner will leave a lubricating film behind.  "Dielectric"
grease is designed to be an insulator, so not really the thing you want on
moving switch contacts.  It only works on fixed connections by squeezing out
of the contact area, and keeping air away from it (to prevent corrosion).

> I had wondered how reliable they were and if I should try to
> disassemble them for cleaning.

I believe only the headlight, ignition and heater switches have been
replaced on my 59 TR3A.  The headlight switch serves as a fuse for the
headlights so it's been replaced every time there was a short (until I
finally added relays and fuses).  The ignition switch simply wore out, and
the heater control rusted away.  The dash light, wiper and starter switches
have never been disturbed; but I did disassemble & clean the OD switch once
thinking it was intermittent.  Problem turned out to be the relay though, so
it's doubtful the switch actually needed the attention.

Randall