[TR] Cleaning Lucas Switches

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 10:38:30 MST 2008

> I am getting ready to clean the switches for my TR3, most of
> which I am sure have not seen current in 30 some odd years.
> Any tips or things to watch out for? I am armed with CRC
> contact cleaner and CRC dielectric grease but haven't started
> the process yet.

Dielectric grease isn't such a good thing around switch contacts, so I'd
just use the contact cleaner.

Unless testing shows a problem, I wouldn't disassemble them.  Just squirt in
some contact cleaner and work the switch back and forth a few times.  Leave
the sealed switches sealed.  My wiper switch is still the original AFAIK and
still works fine.

> A couple of them (such as the brightness control for the panel
> lights) have blind push buttons for attaching the knobs and the
> buttons are stuck pressed in. Any tips for getting them to pop back out?

Squirt some of your favorite penetrating oil (eg PB Blaster) on them and let
soak for a few days.  Then try to work the button in and out.  If it's all
the way in and has no play whatsoever, probably the easiest thing is to look
for another switch.  I've seen several where the spring inside has rusted
and broken.  You could try drilling a tiny hole and pushing on the button
from the other side ...

Randall