[TR] Clutch Replacement

acekraut11 at aol.com acekraut11 at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 20:44:34 MST 2008

 Hi Al,

Since you asked a general question I will offer a general answer, with the offer of additional information if you want more specifics.? The process is not difficult, just a bit time consuming.? You can do almost all of it yourself though it is helpful and safer to have someone assist you with removal and installation of the gearbox itself.? It is also a bit quicker if you can get a "friend" to help you by holding a wrench on the bolt heads inside the engine bay while you loosen and tighten them from inside the car.? However, there are other things to consider replacing, "while you are there".? Depending on how much wear you have on your clutch fork, cross shaft and cross shaft bushings you may want to replace these.? It is a very good time to drill and pin the clutch fork pin so you dont have to worry as much about it snapping off.? Inspect the holes for the clevis pin where the slave cylinder attaches to the cross shaft and inspect the cross shaft for wear at the point it rides on the bushings.? My gearbox had old bushings installed that were almost half the size of the opening the slide into.? New ones from TRF were almost twice as big, offering a greater area for the cross shaft to rotate on.? Of course, take notes, pictures and use bags to label nuts and bolts, etc.? Oh yeah, check out the flywheel also.? I am sure I have forgotten and omitted lots of stuff.

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)