[TR] Lighter

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 16:55:35 MST 2008

> Just be sure that if you do this on a positive gorund car
> that the case of
> the socket is not grounded and that you get it wired up for
> the polarity
> many accessories are expecting.  I fashioned a masonite mount
> to isolate it.

Also don't forget to add a fuse !

Although less common these days, I have seen portable 12v devices where some
exposed metal was connected to the negative power input.  For example, I had
a portable CD player where the metal ring around the headphone jack was so
connected; which of course would make it hot relative to the car body (on a
positive ground car).

Some "marine" lighter sockets come with isolation already built into the
mount, plus a handy rubber plug for when they are not in use.

Randall