[TR] GT6 Quantum Transmission Options

M. Secrest moira.secrest at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 06:37:41 MST 2008

I recently finished installing a rebuilt transmission and overdrive from
Quantum in my 73 GT6.  The new driveline definitely increases the fun factor
of driving the car; most of my driving is around town, and the car is quicker
off the line.  Previously each gear was quite tall but the car was boggy until
it got to speed.

Making the swap is not technically difficult but it is time consuming.  The
tunnel and all associated hardware obviously has to come out.  The 3.27 diff
has to be swapped out for a 3.89.  Probably your exhaust has to be dropped to
get to the prop shaft, which has to be removed and shortened.  Passenger seat
comes out so you can R+R the original tranny and bell (this part no doubt is
the most, uh ... "fun").  And along with what Quantum supplies in the kit for
the D-type O/D conversion, you'll need to locate and bolt in the different O/D
support plate.  You'll also have to cut back some tunnel sheet metal for
clearance of the overdrive.  Pull the heater hoses, you'll need the clearance.
Speedo will read high unless it's altered.  You get the idea.

If I were to do this again I think I would seriously consider Quantum's Ford
5-speed conversion kit.  Especially if you prioritize driving over
originality.  The 5-speed elminates several potential problem areas, since
there is no associated wiring, switch or solenoid.  And the final drive ratio
of the Ford is better for the highway than that of the O/D.  Whichever route
you go, buy the best differential you can find.  You don't want to do all this
work and then find you have to listen to the new diff whine at higher speeds
... but if you do, I find that 85-140 gear oil with some Lucas oil stabilizer
cuts it down tremendously.  Good luck ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6