[TR] progress on the gearbox!

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Dec 25 17:34:15 MST 2008

I'ver started putting things back together.  Got all 49 needle
bearings in the layshaft, just kidding, there are 50.  Question, does
anyone have a cut-down layshaft or similar wooden dowel that I could
buy or borrow?

I'm looking at the brass synchro rings, wondering whether they are
worn, how to measure them, etc.  Spitbits lists one part number, 4
required, but the ones on the gearbox are visibly different even if
nominally the same.  The three small protrusions (not the three big
ones) on the 2nd gear ring are shorter than on, say, 3rd, and appear
worn down.  Does this indicate replacement?  Not sure how they should
be measured.  The 1st ring is much beefier overall.

Nothing else looks problematic at all, which I guess is good.

Tanks,

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com