[TR] GT6 Quantum Transmission Options

M. Secrest moira.secrest at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 09:12:25 MST 2008

My pleasure ... my O/d conversion started out as a simple u-joint repair, with
serious shipwright's setting in.  I have younger kids and do some racing so
the GT6 sat for a long time.  Glad I did it though and the car and I are
getting reacquainted again.   While you're at it, I think it's a no-brainer to
replace the clutch, throwout bearing, prop shaft u-joints, and whatever else
you can service while the tranny is out.  You should also turn the flywheel; I
thought about lightening mine but ultimately did not.  Looking back I probably
should have just spent the ~$500 for that upgrade.  I had to borrow a friend's
500-foot-pound impact wrench to get the flywheel main nut off, just FYI.

If you want to stay strictly original, you'll need the different gear shift
knob with the built in O/D switch.  They are hard to find.  I saw one on eBay
a while ago, but they don't come up often.  Quantum provides a steering column
stalk, not exactly original.  One thing you don't have to worry about is the
external badging -- the GT6 never said "Overdrive" on the car even when one
was fitted.