[TR] buying a TR4 question

don don at napanet.net
Wed Dec 24 16:57:57 MST 2008

>Hello TR list!

I'm still seeking a car.  I have looked at several, some pretty nice ones,
but none quite what I wanted.  There is one on eBay right now in Florida
that looks like what I want.  I am a long ways away in California.  The
shipping costs may make it undoable, and logistics are an issue.  The owner
is very forthcoming with information and the photos indicate it is a very
nice car.

I have a question for the list-

It is a 1967 TR4A and has been fitted with a TR6 gearbox.  Does this affect
originality in terms of price, and does it affect the car iftself in terms
of its installation?  (was butchering necessary to make this swap?)  This
kind of swap is done on MGBs; a later gearbox is often found in an early
B.  Purists cry foul, but others say a 1st gear synchro makes it worth it.

Here is
link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130277315331

Thanks!