[TR] buying a TR4 question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 24 17:11:00 MST 2008

> It is a 1967 TR4A and has been fitted with a TR6 gearbox.
> Does this affect originality in terms of price, and does it
> affect the car iftself in terms of its installation?

I'm not a purist, so can't really comment on the impact on price; except
that it seems unlikely to me to play much of a part.  Maybe for a totally
original car, but not a restored one.  The numbers didn't match even when
the cars were new, so you'd have to get a build record to even know if you
had the right transmission or not.

Physically, the early TR6 boxes were nearly identical to the TR4A (both had
synchro on first).  Might need longer bolts (the front flange got thicker at
some point), but otherwise should drop right in.  The later TR6 boxes did
have some changes to be compensated for, but nothing that requires permanent
changes to the car unless it has a J-type overdrive.  The 4A shift lever was
probably different, but it will fit the later transmissions.

Randall - with a mid-TR6 box in a TR3A.